IAR files are inventory archive files – they are a way of backing up inventory folders and also of transferring content to other people/opensim installations. IAR files are a really quick way of getting open source / free / shared content into your avatar’s inventory.
Uploading an IAR file is pretty straightforward with sim-on-a-stick – there are two ways to do this (1) via the Wifi console (easy but less reliable); or (2) via the OpenSim console (more reliable).
1) Download the IAR file you want to use … there are some really good ones here.
I downloaded FULL AVATARS and ANIMATIONS & POSEBALLS (which includes a male AO and a female AO) as a first step to making the main avatar look better.
2) Unzip (if necessary) and copy the IAR file to the diva-rxxxxx>bin folder
Option 1) via the Wifi Admin Panel
(NB: I found that uploading IAR files via the Wifi Admin panel was unpredictable – it tended to work for smaller IAR files (under 40Mb) but became increasingly more unreliable for larger files.)
3) With mowes and opensim console running, login to the Wifi admin panel:
using the account for your main avatar – see earlier post
4) Click on the ‘Inventory’ link on the main menu (on the right). Then on the Upload IAR link.
Browse to the IAR file you placed on diva-rxxxxx?bin
And then click the Upload button.
5) Wait. The content of the IAR file will be uploaded into the inventory (of the avatar you are logged in as via the Wifi panel).
6) Repeat for more IAR files as necessary. Don’t do too many at once or it can overload the server.
7) I strongly recommend logging into your virtual world to check and organise the new content.
Option 2) via OpenSim Console panel
3) At the # prompt, type:
load iar --merge firstname lastname / password filename.iar
(If you want to upload into a specific inventory folder, you can specify which folder where the / is in the line above. NB. If you make an error in the order on the line above, the console may say it cannot find the person or that the password is incorrect.)
4) Wait. The content of the IAR file will be uploaded into the inventory.
5) Repeat for more IAR files as necessary. Don’t do too many at once or it can overload the server.
6) I strongly recommend logging into your virtual world to check and organise the new content.