To login to your virtual world, you will need to use a viewer. If you do not already use virtual worlds (i.e. don’t already have a viewer installed) then there are several to choose from.
If you are happy to install the viewer on your own computer – and don’t need to have one actually installed onto the USB stick so you can run it from whatever Windows computer you have plugged the USB stick into – then some suitable viewers include:
- Cool VL Viewer – my preference
- Firestorm – also very good … but make sure you install the version for SL and OpenSim
If you need (or want) to have the viewer software on the USB stick along with the virtual world and run it from there, then you can do that. Simonastick provides a zip file with everything you need to install the Imprudence Viewer alongside your virtual world installation. I have this installed as a backup option if I need to use an alternative computer.
If you are not using the Imprudence Viewer from Simonastick, you will need to configure the list of virtual worlds so that you can login to yours.
For Cool VL Viewer:
- Start the viewer, select ‘Edit > Preferences’ from the menu.
- Click on the ‘Grid list’ tab.
- Click on ‘Local’ at the bottom of the list, and then change the:
- login URI to: http://127.0.0.1:9100/
- give the grid a new name: simonastick
- Click on the ‘Add new grid’ button to add those details to the list of grids.
- Click on ‘OK’
Make sure you have remembered to start mowes and opensim.
Start the viewer.
At the bottom of the screen, look for a drop-down menu with the list of grid names … if this is the first time you have used the viewer, it will probably have Second Life showing. Select your grid name from the list.
Enter the default user details for simonastick:
- First name: Simona
- Last name: Stick
- Password: 123
(I will change these later.)
And click on login …. a few seconds later you should see your default avatar appear in your new virtual world.
A few things immediately jump out:
- The avatar is awful – this can be fixed later, including gender changed.
- There is nothing there apart from a pot of gold – this can be fixed later.
- Who wants to be called ‘Simona Stick’? So we will fix this next.
To close everything down:
- Exit the viewer. (If you are about to change Simona Stick’s name, stop after step 1.)
- Type quit after the prompt # into the opensim console.
- Click on the ‘Stop server’ button in the mowes console – and when the SQL and Apache servers have stopped, click on the ‘End’ button.